Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Altec 515B Repair Help

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jdlowe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have an Altec 515B speaker which needs minor repair. About an inch or two of the surround material(black sticky rubbery stuff) has come unglued from the paper cone. What is the best type of glue or adhesive I should use to properly reglue the pieces back together?
    Also, what is the surround made of?

    Thanks
    Josh

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would contact the people at Great Plains Audio, maybe they can suggest something.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I found this company with many different speaker glues and tools to repair cones.

    Here is their Web Site.

    http://www.speakerbits.com/Default.aspx?cat=12&menu=45

    ......................................

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jdlowe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the info.

    I have found a number of speaker glues on eBay and by googleing speaker glue but I am not sure if they will stick to the sticky surround material.

    I did ask Bill at GPA, he sells an edge dampener called CP Moyen VS6020. I am not sure what an edge dampener is. I tried searching for it with google to see what it is but I had no luck.
    He sells a 1/2 pint for $15.

    I will probably buy the stuff from GPA.
    What do you guys think?

    Thanks
    Josh

  5. #5
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would buy and use what GPA sells you. Bill makes Altec speakers, so, hes the best source for repair products.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member jdlowe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    scotty j,
    I am going to order the stuff from Bill.
    Bill does great work! I have sent him a number of 515B's to be rebuilt. Everyone came back in like new condition!
    For some reason he won't fix minor repairs such as reglueing a couple inches of surround? I wish he would.
    Thanks for your input,
    Josh

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by jdlowe13:
    scotty j,
    .
    .
    For some reason he won't fix minor repairs such as reglueing a couple inches of surround? I wish he would.
    Thanks for your input,
    Josh
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Probably it is simple enough fix for you to do. You will have to pay for the shipping of your woofer to him and back, and shpping is expensive. It is costing you about $20 for the CP Moyen VS6020 and a few minutes of your time. I don't think there is anything magical about fixing speaker cones, other than being careful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.